Dark chocolate & hazelnut flourless cake recipe
We've teamed up with Carla from Still Life Flowers and El from Kemp Kitchen to bring you this delicious Montezuma's flourless chocolate cake recipe, along with a how-to video to beautifully decorate it with flowers.
This delicious dark chocolate cake with our 74% Fitzroy bar is perfect for any upcoming outdoor (socially distant) parties or events and will be a real showstopper once you know how to decorate it with stunning flowers. If you'd like to make it really personal, you can even use flowers from your own garden to make it extra impressive!
250g unsalted butter
180g (2x90g bars Montezuma's Fitzroy 74% dark chocolate)
400g roasted hazelnuts
200g caster sugar
½ tsp sea salt
cocoa, to dust
Preheat the oven to 160C/ 140C fan/320F/ gas mark 3, grease and line a 23cm/ 9 inch round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt with butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, make sure the bottom of the bowl is not
touching the water. Once melted transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Blitz the hazelnuts in a food processor until you have fine crumbs, be careful not to blitz for too long as eventually they will come together and turn into a nut butter.
Once blitzed add to the chocolate mixture.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into two bowls. Whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar until fluffy and pale. Then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and then gently fold this into the chocolate mixture too, adding a pinch of sea salt.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes. You want the cake to still be soft and gooey in the middle.
- Leave to cool in the tin and dust with cocoa powder before removing. Serve with something tart, like greek yogurt or crème fraîche.
How to decorate your desserts with Carla: