Dark Chocolate, Pear & Ginger Cake
Since Summer is slowly coming to a close, the wonderful SpamellaB has created this warming chocolate cake made with our Spice It Up bar.
- 75g Montezuma’s Spice It Up Dark Chocolate, broken up into pieces
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 75 plain gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- 50g coconut sugar
- ½ – 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg for vegans
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 50g Montezuma’s Spice It Up Dark Chocolate, broken up into pieces
- Pear crisps
- Cacao nibs
- Crystalised ginger
- Preheat the oven t0 180 degrees C and grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Gently melt the chocolate and coconut oil then set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cacao/cocoa, coconut sugar, ginger and baking powder in a bowl. Pour in the egg/flax egg and melted chocolate and mix well to form a batter.
- Stir in the pears ensuring they are mixed in well, then spoon into the tin and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until risen and firmed up. Leave to cool then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, make the topping by heating up the coconut milk and stirring in the chocolate to allow it to melt.
- Pour over the cake making sure the whole thing is covered. Decorate with pear crisps, cacao nibs and ginger – you’re good to go!